This pizza is one of my favorite dinners to come out of my oven. It fairly simple, but I swear it’s the BEST! Sliced apples, smokey sausage, caramelized onions, creamy cheeses… Can you hear angels singing?
Apples and cheese are a great couple: sandwiches, salads, fondue, cheese plates. Every fall, I used probably 1/2 of my apples from “apple picking” trips with cheese. Mainly, in this pizza. And, frankly, it’s one of the only things getting me through winter right now.
Winter really hasn’t been that bad. But the last 2-3 weeks have really gotten to me. The temperatures finally dropped and stayed in the 30s and 20s (sometimes 10s!). We finally had our first snow last week, which actually was fun. For the first day or two. Then cabin fever set in. I’m a big baby about being outside in the cold, let alone working out in it; I have a strict under 30 degrees no-workout policy for SEAL Team PT. I can run in temperatures lower than that fine, but the snow and ice on roads kept me inside. So I’ve been cooped up in the apartment with Garland a lot! I don’t want to go anywhere, I don’t want to do anything… Nothing except sit in front of our space heater all night and day.
This past weekend, though, I fought the grumpiness and we did a good job of getting out some. We spent Friday night at a bar with some friends after a warm yoga class. Saturday included a late brunch with friends and then, last minute, decided to attend SCAN’s Bourbon Street Ball (even though it was cold and sleeting). We haven’t been that social in MONTHS. It was a little exhausting, but great!
This week started out better. I tried out SEAL Team PT Tuesday night, even though it was under 30—and survived. Last night, I went on an outdoor run for the first time in weeks!
Then it SNOWED. AGAIN.
Oh well. It may be winter, but at least I still have this pizza to comfort me. Hot and cheesy, salty-sweet combinations? They get me.
- 1 batch pizza dough
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 apple, sliced thinly
- 2 apple chicken sausages, sliced and browned in skillet (e.g. Trader Joe's apple chardonnay sausage)
- 1 4 ounce canned tomato sauce with basil and garlic
- ¼ cup caramelized onions (best to do this before hand)
- ½ to 1 cup shredded gouda
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven and pizza stone or pan for 450 degrees (or 500 if your oven can take it!)
- Dust a pizza peel or a piece of aluminum foil with cornmeal, then shape your pizza dough into a circle, square or my favorite: blob. Spread a very thin layer of tomato sauce over the prepared dough (about 3-5 tablespoons), then layer on the apples and onions. Toss on some cheese, reserving half. Layer on the sausage and, lastly, sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Carefully place pizza onto heated stone or pan (If using foil and a pan, just bake with the foil still underneath. Don't bother trying to slip the pizza off it!). Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and crust is brown and puffy.